Exterior Applications of Radiant Barrier Roof Coating
SOLEC offers a LO-MIT radiant barrier coating for exterior roofing projects that can help control interior temperatures, lower air conditioning loads, and increase the overall comfort level on the interior of a building. In addition, this coating can help to reduce heat-related stress on roofing materials, protecting and extending the life of a roof.
Our LO-MIT coating is one of the few on the market that can be applied directly onto a surface without a primer, unlike other coatings that require extensive prep work and multiple applications. It can be applied to a variety of roofing types, including:
- Galvanized Steel or Galvalume
- Flat Roofing, Tar/Gravel
- Rubber, EPDM Roofing
- Built-Up/Modified Bitumen
Note that the coating has a very bright, reflective metallic finish. For residential properties, we recommend our Attic Radiant Heat Barrier Paint so your home is protected while retaining curb appeal.
How LO-MIT I Rooftop Coating Works
The thermal characteristics of our silicone-based coating reflect the sun in such a way to keep the exterior temperature of the roof cool, thus keeping the interior of the building cool. We are one of the few companies that offer a coating that is reflective on the visible and infrared portions of the electro-magnetic spectrum. Because of this, our coating is more effective at lowering the skin temperature of a roof than other reflective coatings that only reflect within the visible portion of the spectrum.
Advantages of LO-MIT I
Our LO-MIT coating offers a number of other benefits, including:
- Slow Heat Release. Our coating works to take the heat that is absorbed by your roof and release it gradually back to the sky (low-e), helping to control the expansion and contraction rate of the roof. In this way, we can extend the life of a roof by 5-10 years, saving you time and money. This gradual release of the heat energy also helps retain heat in the winter.
- Less Is More. Our coating is made of a material with an extremely low viscosity. It’s almost as thin as water, giving us one of the best coverage rates in the industry. One gallon of our silicone coating can cover about 400 square feet in a one application. Other coating companies use at least 2 coats to cover the same square footage. By using less material, our cost to you is between 1/4 and 1/3 of the competition. In addition, when the coating is applied, it goes on 1 mil thick (0.001in, dries to 0.0005in). Most of our competitors’ coatings range from 3-40 mils thick when applied.
- Looks Matter. The silicone we use is highly UV resistant, meaning your roof will retain its color longer. In addition, the silicone helps against dirt adhesion and protects your roof from dust and pollen buildup, keeping it cleaner for a longer period of time.
- We’re Flexible. It’s vital that silicone coatings be used on rubber roofing in particular, as the thin membrane of the roof expands and contracts at rapid rates. With a flexible reflective coating, we minimize the risk of cracking. See the flexibility of the coating utilized by the Gamma Ray Observatory, a 50,000 square foot flexible polypropylene substrate.
- Chalking Won’t Happen. Other coatings break down and chalk. This means the coating is breaking down and the weatherization process is expedited on your roof. Our radiant barrier coating won’t chalk, keeping your roof better protected for a longer period of time.
- Since 1986. We have over 30 years of continuous in-field use across many climate regions. LO/MIT is a proven technology with a long track record of success and is used by America’s largest roofers.
Note that our exterior barrier coating:
- Has a roughly 15 year lifespan due to the thinness of the application (if applied in a high traffic area, we recommend using walking pads)
- Is not a sealant, but can be used in conjunction with one for further protection
SOLEC is a trusted, Energy Star certified company able to save you money on your energy and roofing costs. We are only one of a handful of companies to offer reflective paintable roof coatings that are also low-e.
For more information on how our exterior radiant barrier coating can help your residential or commercial property, give us a call!